Sunday, June 13, 2010

One day at a time...

They say that the third day post-op tends to be the hardest, the worst.

"They" were right.  Yesterday was not a good day for me.

I had been doing so good in the hospital and my first day home.  I had virtually no pain and I didn't have to take any of my Loritab or Phenergan.  I was sipping my fluids and feeling quite comfortable.  I didn't have any gas pains and my incisions were looking good.

But yesterday was a whole new ballgame.  Yesterday I was sore, gassy, "tight", and uncomfortable.  I tried to just work through the discomfort, thinking it would pass.  I got up and took a shower, checked my email, and promptly fell sound asleep from the exertion of it all.  I thought perhaps what I needed was to just get moving.  I remembered from my c-sections that the more I moved, the better I felt in the long run.  So Jeff helped me get dressed and he took me to a movie.  It started out ok, but about an hour into the movie, I felt the need to recline and "stretch out" my abdomen.  I obviously couldn't do that in a movie theater seat, so I just had to tough it out.  By the time the movie was over, I was in a fair amount of pain and snuck into the ladies bathroom to take some Loritab that I had stashed in my purse.  The ride home was not pleasant as I felt every.single.bump.  But Jeff got me home and situated in my giant recliner with and icepack and some Crystal Light and I drifted off into dreamland.

I'm feeling much better today.  I am struggling with eating/drinking enough.  I sip Crystal Light all day long, but I'm just not hungry enough to drink the three protein shakes per day that my doctor requires post-op.  I need to just suck it up and force myself to drink them, I know.

My boys come home in an hour or so.  They've been camping with my parents since my surgery.  Its been nice having them "out of the way" during this part of my recovery, but I've missed them.  And while I'm excited to see them and hear about their camping adventures, I'm nervous about the logistics of taking care of them these next few days while I'm still in such a critical stage of recovery.

So, thats pretty much it for now.  I'm just taking it one day at a time and trying not to get ahead of myself.  I still can't believe I actually did it.  The band is inside me as we speak and its kinda hard to believe.  I'm incredibly excited to heal and start the "work" towards losing this weight.

4 comments:

  1. It will get better. I was a really slow healer and felt beat up for awhile - day 5 for me was getting back to normal.
    Good luck with watching your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, I am glad everything went well. Go you for getting out and going to the movies. I have been walking quite a bit but have not been out of the house. One day at a time. I am having to tell myself that over and over today. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on Day 6 Post-Op (counting day of surgery as Day 1) and feel pretty good. Day 3 really was the worst. Although still not great, Day 4 was a little better. Things really turned around on Day 5. The worst is over!--it only gets better after this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets much easier from this point on! I totally hear you about feeling the bumps in the road. Following surgery, going home, I felt every bump in the road, and I cried and cried! It hurt so bad. I'm not sure why I was SOOO sensitive like that. I didn't hurt like that again, so you're already past the bad part! It gets easier. I hope you had a great time catching up with your boys. Camping! How fun!

    ReplyDelete