Friday, July 23, 2010

My First Fill

So I got my first fill yesterday afternoon.  I wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be, surprisingly enough! 

My doctor came in and talked to me a little bit about how I've been doing and why I think I need a fill.  He is pretty conservative with his fills and he said that he was a bit hesitant to give me an adjustment because I've been losing weight well and I'm feeling *some* restriction when I eat too fast or take too big of bites.

I explained to him that I am hungry after a meal within two hours and I'm avoiding eating more often because of sheer willpower.  So he decided to do a small fill.

He had me lay on the exam table with a round pillow under the small of my back to pop my tummy up.  I could feel my port better than I ever had before and it was kinda cool/creepy.  He numbed me with a bit of lidocaine (sp?) and that burned for just a second.  He explained that he numbs his patients before a fill simply because he'd hate to not be able to get the port on the first try and have to wiggle the needle around w/o and pain meds.  I was happy with that explanation as I am NOT one for pain, so I just relaxed, realized I wouldn't feel anything.

So he inserts the needle and I can feel a bit of pressure, but zero pain.  It takes him a minute or two to find the port and I can feel him hitting the side of it, which was a weird sensation.  But he finally got it and drew out 4cc which he put in during my surgery (which I didn't know about!).  Since I already had 4cc, he decided to only give me 1cc more to bump me up to 5cc in a 10cc band.  He removed the needle, drank my water, and that was that!  I was on my way out of the office within 15-20 minutes of walking in the door.

I was on liquids from yesterday afternoon until about noon today.  I haven't had any problems with anything so I had a grilled chicken snack wrap from McDonald's this afternoon on the way home from our trip up to the mountains.  I took tiny bites, chewed well, and waiting in between bites.  Everything went down perfectly, no problems.  But if I had eaten it faster or with bigger bites, I can tell I would have gotten stuck.  AND... the little wrap filled me right up!  Its been almost 2 1/2 hours since my meal and I'm good to go!

Tonight I'll have some tuna salad probably and tomorrow I'll give some other foods a shot like my morning cereal or some turkey bacon.

But the ominous first fill is over and done with and it was just like everyone promised... NOTHING to worry about! 

3 comments:

  1. Glad everything went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear it went well! I am having my first fill on Thursday. I don't THINK I had any at the time of surgery. I think it is strange that they don't tell us if we do have a fill or not at surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad it went swimmingly! I get my first fill next week and now I'm curious too if there was any put in at the time of surgery.... I'll definitely be asking about it. :)

    ReplyDelete