Friday, January 7, 2011

Heavy

Sarah at My Anniversary Band dared us bandits to pick up a weight at our gym corresponding to the amount of weight we've lost. Never one to shy away from a dare, I accepted the challenge. She said it would be a profound experience. I didn't think much of it because, well, I just didn't. I've lost 72 lbs. I know that is a TON of weight. But after my workout last night, curiosity go the best of me and I decided to see how much, exactly, 70 lbs. felt like.


So I walked to the free weights and picked up a 70 lb. dumbell. Or rather, I *tried* to pick it up. No joke, I had to use both hands and I could barely lift it off the rack. I thought, "surely this isn't really a 70 lb. weight.". So I asked someone and sure 'nuff, it was. So I lifted it again, this time trying to walk around the free weight area carrying it. I got about three waddle-steps and had to put it down.

It was astounding how heavy that weight was! I know that my 70 lbs. of fat wasn't all in one spot and being carried in front of me by my weakling arms, but still. Throw that sucker into a backpack and carry it around for a day, and I guarantee my joints will be killing me and my body will be exhausted.

Sometimes it's hard to be excited about how far I've come when I see how far I still have to go. But lifting that weight gave me a whole new outlook on my weight loss. I really am a rock star! :)

2 comments:

  1. Do you watch Biggest Loser? my favorite episode of each season is when they put the weight back on. it really puts thing in perspective for you. awesome on the 70+ by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Profound experience" is the perfect way to describe it! I don't know why I kept thinking "only 50 pounds" - 50 pounds is heavy! And 70? that's just awesome! I'm glad you tried it and it was helpful. I really was surprised at how it made me feel to pick it up! Yes, you are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete